I have to be real honest with you about something I’ve struggled with this past year…it’s a very ugly word,
“The practice of putting off, delaying, and postponing a task or project.”
As 2013 winds down and I begin to look over my year, I see areas in my life in which I haven’t accomplished what I had planned on doing. Like many people, I set goals at the beginning of the year, I even mapped out steps I needed to take to get there, but I have failed to the carry them out in some places.
Maybe, if you’re honest too, you can admit a few places where you put off doing what you needed to do. The good news in all of this is, first, the year is NOT over and second, it’s NEVER too late with God! The time is NOW to carry out and accomplish those things that have been tugging on the inside of you to be fulfilled. You know exactly what I’m talking about, because you thought of it when I said that...
Want out of debt? Want to get in shape? Want to write a book? Want to start a business? Want to buy a house?
...What are you waiting for?
We should all be challenged to better ourselves in every area of our lives...spiritually, emotionally, financially, and physically with NO MORE DELAYS! God wants us experiencing maximum results by thriving and excelling in our every day lives!
I started thinking about “that” ugly word and why I had allowed “it” to creep in and make itself at home in my life. Here’s a few of the reasons that I came up with for my procrastination...maybe you can relate to some, or all of them.
- FEAR - Fear of the unknown, fear of failure, fear of change, fear of rejection. Fear is crippling and wants to hold you back from what you should be doing and where you should be going. Fear is straight from the devil and a huge “time robber” for accomplishing your goals.
- DISTRACTIONS - Facebook, TV, bills, relationship issues are just a few of the distractions that come to mind. Have you ever got on Facebook to just read your newsfeed and 2 hours later you wonder where the time went? UGH! I can’t tell you how many times that has happened to me. Tick tock...tick tock...life is just passing you by. You’ll never get that time back again. Then there is TV. I’m not a big tv watcher at all and can go weeks without turning it on. However, I hate to admit this, but I got so engrossed in the Jodi Arias trial at the beginning of this year and wasted 5 MONTHS watching that ridiculous charade!! Meanwhile God was saying, “Umm Jerri, didn’t I give you goals to carry out and dreams to fulfill?”
- WAITING ON PERFECT CONDITIONS - “When the kids go back to school, I’ll get started on that” or how about, “When I have all the money for it, then I’ll begin” or “When it’s not so cold out, I’ll start walking everyday.” These are just a few in a very long list of excuses we make while waiting on the perfect conditions. You know as well as I do, with that kind of thinking, it will never be perfect.
- THE OPINION OF OTHERS - One negative comment from someone can cause you to doubt yourself, create a lack of confidence, and make you question your abilities. Accepting the opinion of others as truth, only causes setbacks for long periods of time....are you seeing this now? It’s all part of the devil’s delay tactics. He never wants you fulfilling your purpose.
- LAZY - Embarrassing to say, but I’ve been guilty at times. Lay in bed a little longer than you should, veg out in front of the TV for hours, play Candy Crush all night! Lazy produces lazy...which is absolutely nothing! There are several scriptures dealing with laziness and being a sluggard. They are very specific about its effect...OUCH!
Now that some of the excuses have been exposed, it’s up to you and me to get rid of these negative detours and replace them with positive steps for change.
- FAITH - When fear steps in, faith (confident assurance) must step up and replace it. Joyce Meyer says sometimes you just have to “Do it afraid.” Whatever it is you need to do, just make yourself step out regardless of the fear. Jump off that cliff and let your faith in God catch you! (“I don’t have a spirit of fear...” II Timothy 1:7)
- FOCUSED - Setting daily goals will keep you focused. If you have to, set a timer to make sure you allot time for certain things, then do it! Whatever it take to stay on task. Have a set times during the day for projects and don’t think about them until that time. Staying focused is a priority!
- MOVING FORWARD - REGARDLESS - You can’t wait on everything to be “just right” before you carry out what your supposed to be doing. You could waste years and years waiting on the perfect scenario. You have to take that first step and plan of action...regardless of the conditions!
- CONFIDENT - it doesn’t matter what others think or say, if you know God has placed a dream on the inside of you, than all that matters is pleasing Him and fulfilling your destiny. Let them laugh, let them criticize, but you remain confident in the ability, strengths and talents God has given to you. You are made for greatness, ignore the haters!
- PRODUCTIVE - Take control of your mind wanting to be idle and your body wanting to be lazy. Don’t waste another day being unproductive. You are called to action! Accomplish a little something each day. It feels good to check things off your list each day.
FOCUSED ON THE GOAL...
“Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back. So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it.”
Philippians 3 (Message)
No More Delays!